Saturday, December 28, 2013

Is having a tv in a childs bedroom a bad idea?

best personal dvd players for kids on Best Kids Portable DVD Player | Best Kids Stuff
best personal dvd players for kids image



AuroraBore


I have a one and two year old. And i grew up never having a tv in my bedroom.

Although I hated it when i was younger, I can appriciate why my parents did it.

Many parents today let their kids have tvs, dvd players, etc. in their bedrooms, but is this really wise?



Answer
I have trouble understanding why anyone would want their child to have a tv in their bedroom. It pulls the family apart, with each person doing something by themselves in their own personal space. wouldn't you rather have the family doing something together? It makes it hard to monitor what and when the child is watching. It makes it much more likely the kid is going to watch tv just before falling asleep (which can cause insomnia). It makes it far less likely that you're standing nearby when something that's against your values comes up on the tv, so that you can either change the channel or start having a discussion with your child. similarly, it makes it difficult to keep a conversation going about the advertisements your child sees. it keeps the tv front and center in a place where the child often is, making it more likely they will watch tv regularly.

personally, i think one tv per family is plenty (and there are 6 people in my family). there is absolutely no reason why two family members need to be watching two tv shows simultaneously. surely there's something better to do?

Korean Airlines -- What is the correct power adapter type?




Gentlehear


I'm going on Korean Airlines soon and have tried calling their customer service but the representative had no idea as to what type of power adapter can be used to power a personal laptop, dvd player, etc. in the power outlet at many of the seats.

I would like to know if anyone has used a power adapter on Korean Airlines and if they remember what type of adapter they used.

I know this is a real specific question, but perhaps someone out there has an answer! Thanks!
Well if I was hooking up an electronic kidney dialysis machine, I would cease to exist if I couldn't. Yes, I am bringing a book but I have a seven year old and Korean Airlines doesn't have any children's programming on board and this is a thirteen hour flight.
Good grief! Everyone thinks I'm bringing a laptop! No, I am not. Certainly not for a seven year old! I was planning on her using a portable dvd player since the movies in flight on Korean Airlines are not kid's movies. Believe it or not, she will have coloring books too! Yes, I will be playing with her at times too. I'm giving up on this question as the two responders basically were being judgmental and opinionated rather than helpful.



Answer
Instead of bringing a laptop for your child, bring a few toys and a coloring book for him/her. There is no law stating you MUST occupy a child with internet games.

If your child does not like coloring or playing with toys, you should play WITH him/her. Kids always love it when parents play with them and you'd like it too! Eventually your son or daughter will fall asleep from excitement and then you can read.

Also, they usually have movies playing on flights. Just buy (some airlines have them free) some headphones and have your child watch the movie.

But be prepared in case the movie isn't appropriate for your child.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment