Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Driving to Florida with 4 kids, and one on the way... tips?




Preggo egg


We go to Florida every March break with the kids. This year it'll be easier because all the kids are; of course- a year older, and more mobile. The twins are 3 and my other 2 are 5 and 7. However, this year I'm pregnant. Not even a month yet, but I have terrible morning sickness ALL DAY. I must admit, it isn't as bad as it was last week (I'm taking something for it), but it still gets bad, and I'm afraid the long drive there (24 hours to be exact) is going to be sticky.

Any advice on how to keep myself sane, and how to keep the kids occupied? I know I've been down there about 10 times, but it's always a challenge and I'll take any extra advice I can get! We will be stopping in Washington to sleep a few hours before continuing to drive!

Thanks!
Also, we're staying at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress in Orlando... anyone been there/knows anyone about it?



Answer
Ge them each a little backpack and pack it with things that your children like to do, relevant to their age group, as well as little snacks and such. You can go to the dollar store and get them little games and stuff to keep them occupied such as perhaps crayons, coloring books, writing pad, pencil, little toys, perhaps small books, or even cheap mp3 players with their favorite songs on them. etc. It would also not be a bad idea to pick up a portable dvd player for your children to watch little movies and stuff on. You can also set up a little scavenger hunt for them, (such as find mommy a green car, etc) you can play I spy, and even sing along to their favorite songs with them. Perhaps you can even find them a cheap kids camera (wal-mart, 20 dollars apiece) and let them take pictures of all the interesting things they see and etc. this will keep them busy for a while.

you can go to craigslist.org and find a cheap portable dvd player in your area that you can buy. My husband and I found an awesome one for our 2 year old son when we went on a trip to oregon (we flew... 18 hour trip including layovers, and three planes there, three back....) and we paid only $40 dollars for it.

also if you have a few extra dollars, it would be a great investment to pick up some little leapster for your children, as these have multiple games they can mix and match and can keep them occupied for hours.

you can probably find one or two cheap on ebay, craigslist ( i just looked and they have them used for as low as $25), or go to wal-mart, they are $50 apiece, but they will provide you with sanity for years to come.

also how about driving down at night. That way the children will be asleep and you can keep your sanity then as well. just pack extra sipppy cups in case they wake up, and put on some soft music in the car. You can watch your kids the day before and let your husband get some rest, and then when he is driving down, you can rest, or since the kids will already be asleep, if he gets too tired, he can pull over at a rest stop for a few hours. then when you get to florida, you watch the kids for a few hours while he takes a nap, he can do the same for you, and that night, start up with you old routine.

Airplane trip with 3 toddlers!! YIKES! HELP PLEASE!?




MomE


In about 2 weeks I am planning to take my toddlers (early 3 year old twin boys and a 4 year old girl) on a plane trip to Universal Studios. I am SUPER NERVOUS about them flying on the plane and semi nervous about the amusement park and hotel. Does anyone have any toddler travel tips?? My girl will probably be okay but my boys are still in tantrum mode. Is there a way that they can all be contained on the plane?


Answer
I have one word for you......

PORTABLE DVD PLAYER

or an ipod with video function...or a laptop on which you can play dvds.
I have only one child, but have done many long international flights (and all my friends travel with their small kids)....and the dvd player has been a life-saver.
This is in addition to a little bag each with small toys. A small colouring book with crayons or coloured pencils.....and the great success for the 21/2-31/2 age....a sticker book with reusable stickers (do NOT get stickers that you cannot remove in case they stick them around the plane)....a magic drawing board (my dollar store has small ones)...
Bring snacks that take a lot of concentration to eat....cherios, raisins etc.....maybe a selection of small bags of snacks. If you can order child meals make sure you do....the childrens meals arrive first. Find out how much liquid you can bring and use that for juice....a great calming agent.......in my expereince the flight attendants brought juice pretty quickly too!
Also make sure that you get on the plane last (even though small children can board first)....you want them to be able to expend as much energy as possible BEFORE they get on the plane. I always waited near the gate until they announced final call (if there is an empty gate lounge nearby they can use it to play hide and seek until the last minute).
Also check out the airport website (if they have one)..... some big airports have kids play rooms.
Don`t expect help from ANYONE....even the flight attendants!
So visualise how you will carry everything. I got my little girl a wheely bag when she was just turned 3 and she loves wheeling it herself (with her toys/activites inside). You can do this with your little girl.....but only you know if that will work with your boys (maybe small backpacks might be better)

Get to the airport with plenty of time to spare.....watch the planes taking off then let them run off energy before getting on the plane.

I wish you so much luck. In my experience the mobile baby days were more difficult than the toddler/preschooler days......but I have a friend with twins (now 4 yo) and I have watched them wind each other up......so I can totally understand your panic. Luckily this age is more easily entertained than the 1-2 age group.

You will survive!!!!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment