Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Upconverting DVD Players: Component vs. HDMI?




Jeff H


I have a couple of upconverting DVD players that I am looking at, mainly the Denon and Samsung HD960. I am leaning towards the Samsung but just read that it won't upconvert over 480p on component .... which makes little sense to me. It says in the brochure that it needs HDMI for 1080p upconverting but the review I read says that he spoke to Samsung and they say that to upconvert over 480p requires HDMI. Does this makes any sense? To me, no. So, my question is ... are there upconverting DVD players that some would recommend that will upconvert over component (since my receiver does not have HDMI)? I am not sure what I would lose if I went from my DVD to the TV with HDMI and then from the receiver to the TV via optical.


Answer
Most DVD's that upscale to 1080P have to do so over HDMI since no display I am aware of is capable of 1080P thru anything BUT HDMI. If you want to scale to resolutions other than 480P via component, this defeats the copy protection which is why DVD players don't allow this. Look at the Oppo 970 and then do a search for a hack that allows you do do upscaling over component. Note...I am not telling you to INSTALL this clearly illegal hack, but you can look at it for curiosity's sake.

If you DO have a display capable of 1080P, definitely run your DVD direct to the TV via HDMI. Even if your receiver had HDMI inputs, you may end up doing this anyways since many receivers are having HDCP handshake problems due to the repeater circuits (hopefully they have this problem fixed on the new generation units being introduced at CES as we speak). Simply run an optical cable for the digital audio stream to the receiver...there is no loss. Either that or buy a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player so you can take advantage of a TV that has 1080P capability. Note, a standard DVD scaled to 1080P is NOT the same as a high definition HD DVD or Blu Ray DVD. The new Toshiba HD XA-2 HD-DVD has awesome standard DVD scaling...better than some high end scalers, so you get the best of both worlds.

Is there a dvd player with an HDMI INPUT?




Clint


I have netflix on my laptop, but I want to be able to view it on my Tv... my Tv doesn't have an HDMI or VGA port, just the red, yellow, white, blue, and green components. My laptop has the HDMI and VGA ports. I already bought a Dvd player that I thought had the HDMI, but it was an output only. So, is it possible to even do this? To plug my laptop into a Dvd player with an HDMI cable, and then plug the Dvd player into my Tv with the components, and be able to watch netflix from my laptop? Its complicated, I know, but worth it I think if possible.


Answer
I'm quite certain there is not (not only no HDMI In but no Component In either). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone has cobbled something together and they may be in some countries where little attention is paid to copyright issues, but commercially and widely available DVD Recorders (you said Player, but what would a player do with an Input?), No. Content owners and equipment manufacturers (and in some cases, like Sony, for example, these are all in one company) got together long ago and decided to not make it simple for people to record High Def on a Set Top Box (STB). Of course along came Tivo and other DVR/PVR makers and of course we can all now do that anyway (but making a DVD and taking it somewhere else is, while possible, a bit tricky).
Your best bet, IMO, is to just use your component (Red/Green/Blue video and Red/White - Right/Left audio) cables from the DVD player to the TV - you'll get HD that way. Of course that still leaves getting the laptop Netfilx to the TV - that;s a whole other discussion...
BTW - I just noticed you mentioned Yellow - Yellow is not component, it is Composite - where Component uses 3 cable (R/G/B) for video, Composite puts all parts of the video on one cable (Yellow) and it is therefore not HD. Are you sure you have R/G/B? If you do, try my suggestion. If not, you're stuck with Composite (and frankly, I'd be surprised that a TV w/Components does not also have VGA or HDMI - HDMI was established over 10 years ago, about the time HD began to be common).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment