Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What kind of DVD player should I get?

best dvd player for 720p tv on ... Console, Blu-ray DVD player, TV: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
best dvd player for 720p tv image



Steelbotto


I have a 32" 720p TV, I am not sure what kind of DVD player to get. I have all regular DVDs. Do I get a regular DVD player or an up-converting DVD player.


Answer
I have a 37" 720p lcd. I wanted to get to the bottom of things so i went and bought a upconverting dvd player. I put Iron Man dvd in my old player over component cables and another Iron Man dvd in the upconverting dvd player over hdmi. Of all the scenes I watched and switched back & forth between the 2 players, I saw no difference in quality. So i returned the upconverting player. That's something you could try & see if you see something that I didn't. I don't know & don't care about the technical reasons why they looked the same to me, but I didn't see any reason to keep it.

how much better is hdmi over composite cables?




Mike G


i got my 720p tv that supports up to 1080i(with hdmi and component cables) hooked up to a dvd player/ surround sound (that upconverts standard 480p dvds to 1080i) with composite cables. How much better will the picture look when i hook it up with an hdmi cable?
no, im definitely talking about composite cables. I remember these cables i used came with my nintendo 64 way back in 96



Answer
Composite cable cannot carry a HD signal, so, at best, you're only getting 480i (not even 480p!) from your DVD player.

While your TV will upconvert this anyways, it's always better to feed your TV the best possible signal you can. Standard DVDs are encoded in progressive scan, so by using a composite cable, you're forcing the DVD player to downgrade the video to 480i, and then asking your TV to upconvert that to 1080i. It'll look worse than when you have your HDTV watch a non-HD channel from your cable box.

Even if you were using a normal DVD player that puts out 480p, this would result in a MUCH better picture (more data for the TV to deal with.)

Most upconverting DVD players can process the upconversion better than your TV. As a result, it's always best to have your DVD player output at the native resolution of your TV.

If your TV supports HDMI, there is no reason you shouldn't be using it for your upscaling DVD player. Don't get suckered into buying those $50-100 cables from Best Buy. There are cheaper cables on the internet and smaller electronics stores that are just as good (if not better).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment