Sunday, July 28, 2013

Can anyone recommend a good upconverting DVD player?

best dvd upconverting player on Best Blu Ray Dvd Player | DVD Player Review
best dvd upconverting player image



CommanderQ


I am planning to buy an LCD TV that supports 1080p. Should I buy a upconverting DVD player with 1080i or 1080p support since I heard 1080i is good enough.


Answer
Sure, at least until the industry sorts out all of the

formats. That's what I did. I own the Oppo DV-981HD.

Otherwise, you could consider the LG player that plays

both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Discs if the high price is

not out of the question. A 1080i resolution is plenty

good enough for HDTV sizes of 37" or smaller.

Can I hook up a DVD player using HDMI for video and optical audio for sound?




mike


I know this sounds weird, but hear me out. I have a Sony upconverting DVD player, Sony receiver (no HDMI or video inputs), and an Olevia HDTV. I need to use the HDMI cable from the DVD to the TV for 1080i upconversion. Then, use the optical audio connection between the DVD and receiver for surround sound. My question, will the DVD player output audio on the optical line with HDMI attached? Is there a setting I have to change for this? Any help is appreciated.


Answer
I also have a Sony upconverting DVD player and a Sony receiver. I have HDMI inputs on my Sony receiver, but I don't use it because it only just passes the sound through to the TV. I do not get any sound from my receiver through the DVD HDMI connection. I've checked the manual, and it confirms this is the way my Sony receiver is supposed to work. To get surround sound on my system, I hook the HDMI cable directly from the DVD to the TV and the optical out to my receiver. This, I believe, is what you are proposing doing with your system, and therefore, I'd have to say it should work. As far as the settings, you would have to read your specific manuals to figure out the settings. You will also have to turn off the sound on your TV when you want to use your receiver with the DVD player. Otherwise you will get an echo effect.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment