Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Upscaling / upconverting DVD players?




Simmy


I'm pretty new to this HD thing. I got a 37" Sharp (710p) HDTV which I currently have hooked up to my Xbox 360 for watching DVD's. I thought, perhaps naively, that if I got a DVD player with upconversion/upscaling, I would see an improvement in picture quality of standard DVD's.

So I got an $80 Sony at Costco which I hooked up directly to the TV through the HDMI cable which came with the player and Yikes! The picture quality is even worse than when I watch movies through my Xbox at 420p. I tried changing the settings on the DVD player to 720p and 1080i, and both looked terrible.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I have unrealistic expectations that an upconverting DVD player would be better quality than 420p on the Xbox?
Oops I meant 480p not 420p on the Xbox



Answer
Up-converting DVD players rescale the 480 DVD resolution to a higher resolution. Your TV does the same thing. So what's the point of an up-scaling DVD player?
Well, initially, up-scaling DVD players were quite expensive because they had very good upscalers in them. Generally, they did a better job than the upscalers in the TV. So, you could get an improvement in the picture. There still are expensive up-converting DVD players that will give you a better picture.
But an $80 player isn't going to do a better job than a $2000 TV.
BTW-you should never have the DVD player upscale to a resolution higher than your TV's. The TV just has to downscale to it's native resolution. Doing it twice just degrades the picture more.

What is an upconverting dvd player?

Q. I'm looking at online reviews for dvd players and I came across "upconverting dvd players" so can someone explain in simple terms what that is?


Answer
An upconverting dvd player basically gives you a better picture than a regular dvd player. Movies on my regular dvd player look horrible on my HDTV, so I went out and bouth an upconverting one, and they look really good on it. It's a big step below Blu-Ray players, but it's a step up from regular dvd players.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment