Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Upscaling DVD Player?




skistar42


We are looking to buy a 1080p HDTV and don't want to make the switch to Blu-Ray so we are looking into DVD Upconverters. I have a few Questions. When I look at the product pages for players online, I see "1080p Upscaling DVD player" but when I look at online reviews I see "This DVD player is equipped with progressive scan". So will these DVD players really make regular DVD's look 1080p? I have also heard that TV's can Upscale DVD's to 1080p or whatever their native resolution is. So if they upconvert, what's the point in buying a Upconverting DVD Player?

Here's one I was looking at. could you tell me if it will upconvert a regular DVD to true 1080p?
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5982-1080p-Upscaling-Player/dp/B000N254LU/ref=pd_sim_e?ie=UTF8&qid=1204232944&sr=1-1

And the TV I was looking. Will this upconvert to 1080p by itself?
http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-TX-42F430S-1080p-LCD-HDTV/dp/B000NIDJ3E/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1204233275&sr=1-22



Answer
There are "upconverters" and "scalers". The scalers will give you a much better picture than the upconverters. The other the thing to remember is that sometimes the TV has the better "upconverter/scaler" and sometimes the DVD player has the better upconverter/scaler.

If I were you, I'd spend the money on an HDTV with superior upconverting/scaling capabilities and stick with an "average" DVD player. The extra green spent on your TV will make ALL of your video sources look better. And you might reconsider the Blu-ray Disc. You can get a decent player for around $300. The audio alone is worth the price of admission.

HD Player or DVD Player with 1080p Upscaling?




David


So i just got my 1080p Samsung 40''. Now i need a good DVD player. what should i go for? i mainly watch DVD, don't know if i am going to get HD DVDs, since they are still pricey. Now Let me get to my main point. Which one should i get? HD Player or DVD player with Upscaling? I mean does HD player upscale you to 1080p when watching regular DVDs? i am looking at the OPP DVD player, and it got pretty nice rating.


Answer
Every single credible recent review pegs 1080p upscaling as having less quality than bluray/hddvd. But only slightly less and hardly noticeable (if at all). I have not seen a single recommendation of wasting the money on a hd format player unless you are an elitist.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment